WHAT IS CHAT?
Children’s Hearing Aid Texas (CHAT) provides auditory services and hearing aids for children in Central Texas with audiological needs who have no financial alternatives to meet those needs. The program serves families of children zero through age 20. CHAT was founded on the belief that hearing aids are essential for the development of cognitive and social skills in infants and children with hearing loss.
CHAT was established by Caroline Caven, MA, MBA in 2003 and incubated by the Austin Community Foundation under their 501 (c) (3) status until 2008, when CHAT was "adopted" by Any Baby Can.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
CHAT offers services to families that:
· Have a child age zero through 20 with audiological needs and have no financial alternatives to meet these needs
· Medicaid clients will be considered only if:
- The child is a cochlear implant user
- The family is unable to access a provider that accepts their child’s Medicaid
- The child’s hearing loss is not severe enough to qualify for services through Medicaid or Medicaid does not cover the audio logical services the child needs (for example: maintenance or repairs that are only covered every 18 months)
· Has an income that does not exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
· Lives in one of the following counties: Bandera, Bastrop, Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Comal, Fayette, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Lee, Llano, Medina, Milam, Travis and Williamson
WHAT SERVICES ARE PROVIDED?
The CHAT Program provides financial assistance toward the following services:
· Audiological diagnostics (including any special testing required)
· Ear molds
· Hearing aids
· Hearing aid repairs
· Services required to have the hearing aids fit on the child and maintained
· Cochlear implant replacement parts (batteries, cords, headpieces)
· Cochlear implant insurance
· Some assistance towards the cost of a cochlear implant surgery
· If significant case management needs are identified, a referral will be made to the Any Baby Can CARE Program.
WHERE ARE SERVICES PROVIDED?
Services are primarily coordinated via phone and email communication, with appointments made as necessary.
HOW MUCH DO SERVICES COST?
Services are free to those who are eligible.
I HAVE QUESTIONS. WHO SHOULD I CONTACT?
Contact Leanne Bailey, LMSW at 512-610-3596 or LeanneB@anybabycan.org